In the beginning
Forty-five years ago the founding members of the Conejo Church of Christ took a huge risk. They knew their church could not be the blessing God was calling it to be without its own home, a strategic beachhead for spiritual growth, shared community, and neighborhood ministry. After much prayer, they bought land and constructed a church building that in today’s dollars cost nearly $3 million. That investment has blessed generations of children, teens, college students, adults, and neighbors. They “planted the seeds of blessing” whose shade and fruit we’ve enjoyed for many decades.
Forty-five years later, a fresh opportunity lies before us, a chance to create space for our growing ministries and address some challenges that frustrate us. Now is the time for us to be the blessing to future generations, providing the physical spaces that will empower them to become more Christ-like, build families, and bless communities.
Today, we have envisioned two new buildings—one for fellowship, education and ministry, the other for our offices. We’ve envisioned adequate and safe on-site parking and accessibility for all. Now is the time to imagine our next chapter.
So Imagine, if you will. . .
1. More opportunities to love and disciple our children & the kids of our neighborhood. Imagine having spaces where children can explore the world of faith through all their senses, a well laid out children’s area that says, Jesus loves you and so do we!
2. Imagine having a place for our teens to call their own. . . a place outfitted with them and their friends in mind, a place that says you belong here, you matter to us, and are vital to the life of this congregation.
3. Imaging showing all our guests with mobility impairments. . . we’ve been expecting you, and have created ease-of-access for you throughout our property.
4. Imagine having a functional kitchen and dining area that says... welcome friends, welcome neighbors, welcome newcomers, welcome community... let’s eat together!
5. We’re a church of educators and thought leaders: Imagine more spaces to educate and evangelize, to mentor and disciple, to coach and teach, to discuss and ask questions.
6. Imagine more effectively extending hospitality to all who are seeking the Lord and the life he brings, welcoming them as Christ welcomed us into a safe community to explore the questions of faith.
7. Imagine opening our doors to the community and letting them see our love and care for them... in Celebrate Recovery meetings, Scouting programs, exercise classes, ESL classes, Food Share distribution, community parenting classes.